My Disney Journey

This blog was a journey of my application to Walt Disney World's Cultural Representative Program, from sorting out my CV through all the interviews to a year of having a mouse for a boss! Now, watch as I try to get back to my second home.

Congratulations! April 29, 2011

To the future King William, and Princess Catherine… the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge! Because you got married today!!! πŸ˜€ And I woke up at 5:30am to watch it.

And now I must apologise to all of my readers. These last couple of weeks have been rather crazy. They’ve been hard work, very tiring, and when I have had time off I’ve just wanted to shut my brain off and chill out. As such, I’ve not had much of a chance to really update my blog so much. What I can do, however, is give a run down of everything that I’ve been up to in one giant blog post. You see, these last two weeks have been my training for becoming a server… a week of food running and other stuff, and a week of service training, with a test on Thursday (which was actually yesterday). So, for all the future UK Food and Beverage CRPs… this blog post will prove very very useful for you, so you can get an idea of Service training (assuming it doesn’t change before you get here that is!!!)

So… lets go all the way to when I last posted. That was last Monday, when I had my food running training.

Tuesday 19th
Today was my culinary day. On your culinary day you basically become a chef. This day is very very useful for finding out how our dishes are prepared, cooked and finished, so that you can give much more accurate infomation to your guests.

I started off working in pantry, doing salads, corned beef sandwiches, desserts. Stuff that doesn’t really need cooking. Then they moved me over to the fish station. This is both the easiest and busiest station… All you do is fry the fish and chips (plus a couple of other things when needed, like the scotch eggs), and plate them up. However, we sell so much Fish and Chips that it’s quite hard to keep track of how many you need. I wasn’t on fish for very long before I helped out on ovens and grills a bit. Then I went up to the Culinary pre-meal before dinner service. After that I spent a little bit of time in Chippy with Dexter, James and Michael, where I got to drop the fish in the batter. And then I went on break.

During your break on Culinary day, they make you up a large platter of most of the entrΓ©es. Obviously, the most expensive things aren’t on there (the steak or the salmon) but it’s a really good way to try all the meals and form your own opinions on most of our stuff.

When I came back from my break, the kitchen was pretty busy, and I spent the remainder of my shift helping Jason on Ovens. He actually made me dig in quite a lot and help make a lot of stuff. Mostly seasonal vegetables (my god, we go through a lot!), but I did make an entire Salmon dish! The only thing Jason did was take it out of the oven for me. πŸ˜€ I think the Salmon will be very easy to spiel from now on! Hehe.

And then I came home. And Fell asleep pretty quickly. One last note… spending time on ovens is hot. VERY hot. You are stood very close to some very very hot ovens, a very very hot grill, and a 4 top gas cooker, which at dinner has pretty much all 4 rings lit. It was fun though, and I think I learnt a lot from this day!

Wednesday 20th
This was my bar day. I was quite looking forward to my bar day, as I used to love working on the service bar back at Zizzi. I had Gavin training me, which I think might be the main reason I didn’t enjoy this day as much as I’d hoped. His style of training just doesn’t gel with my style of learning, but he wasn’t to know this. Ah well. I did eventually get into the swing of things, and by the end of the night, I was enjoying it. Of course, by then everything had quietened down and I was just required to help clean everything. *sigh* Still, I learnt that I needed to learn my pub blends, so that’s something at least.

Thursday 21st
Today was my first tipped day!!! πŸ˜€ I was food running with Stuart, and I think the day went pretty well. We made some rather good tips, but it was hard work. I’ll never know how some people become permanent food runner, I know I could never do it.

Friday 22nd
Today was my second, and last (during training) day of food running. It was me and Anna for today (the other trainee for this week), and I think we made quite a good team.

I did have a slight annoyance at one point. I came back from my break to find we were on the verge of running out of condiments (not Anna’s fault, it’d just been busy). I said to Anna would she be ok running if I just got on with condiments and got us back up to a decent level. She said sure! I wasn’t to know that we were so low that it would take me 1.5hours to get us up to a decent level again!!! One of the servers (not going to name any names) decided to help running food, and then had a go at me because I was still doing condiments and they had to run! Well, I never asked you to run, and these condiments needed doing! Pah, some people, eh?! Heh, everything is fine between us now, of course. πŸ˜€

Saturday 23rd
Today was a day off. A very much needed one at that. I slept in, then headed off to Epcot with the intent of spieling to a manager in time for Terri to finish her shift so that we could come home together. I got in earlier than intended, so I had a browse round for a bit. Unfortunately, Terri got cut early from work as she wasn’t feeling well, so as I was heading to the UK pavilion to see a manager, I saw her coming the other way, looking like she was about to collapse! Me being the good friend that I am, forgot the idea of spieling and decided to make sure Terri got home ok.

So, back to the bus stop, where we decided that getting some food in her would help a lot, so we hopped in a taxi to sweet tomatoes. This place is very very yummy, btw… healthy too! Which makes a change for the US πŸ˜›

We had a relaxing night though, came home and watched You Got Mail. Barring the fact that the DVD player decided to die half way through, so we went out to Publix and Walgreens, both for groceries and for a new DVD player so we could finish the film! Which we did, and it was very good. πŸ˜€

And thus concludes my week of food running… I think I’ll start a new post for my week of service training, and I think I’ll write it tomorrow. There’s a fair bit involved, and I am rather tired from waking up at 5:30 this morning to watch the wedding. So I bid you good night, and This week’s blog will come tomorrow!



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

+ 1 = 6

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>